Wednesday 1 April 2020

The Curse of this Virus

So yeah, even in Australia we still have problems with this Coronavirus and even being in Queensland hasn't helped (our state is third on the highest numbers in the country). As such, people like myself with physical conditions (I have conditions Asthma, a current sinus problem that I'm still on the waiting list to have looked at, plus a few others) and my own family members has vulnerabilities, have been 'advised' into self-isolation (so we can no longer visit each other). And while I understand the necessity for it in order to better control this outbreak and protect our physical health, it has put a serious strain on our mental health as a result.

This has been more complicated for me, as I am a lodger (meaning I pay to rent a single room and to use the facilities) in a small two bedroom unit. I live with the owner, who is a friend I knew at high school and who constantly drives me up the wall. My room is half the size of his and it contains not only my bed, but my draws, T.V, computer and computer table, etc. So it is a small, tight space that limits what I can do (and if your wondering why I haven't left, it's down to the fact that it's cheap and trying to get a place in the private rental market is just about impossible these days, though I do have some assistance that is trying to help me in this regards).

As such, I already felt like I was living in a prison, now it really is kind of a prison. However, I feel like there are so many more people that are now in a worse situation then myself. With the lack of physical social interaction from support services, I fear we will see a rise in suicide rates, on top of those in domestic violence situations feeling more like there is no way to escape. Sadly, our Government has been slow to react on this and I can only hope people will see this as an opportunity to reach out and seek support.

I do hope people out there stay safe during these times and we use this opportunity to bring out to start bringing out the best in us and to move forward in a more positive and productive light. It will take a lot to recover from this, so remember to look out for one another and to show support for those who need it.

Lets try not to go too insane while we're all stuck inside. Stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment