Saturday 11 January 2014

Quick Thought On Tyranids

With the release of the new Tyranid Codex, a thought has occurred: they're not scary. While the idea behind them is (given that I'm a huge fan of the idea of constantly evolving xenomorphic creatures), it's the look of them which sort of destroys that image. I'll use one of their images to show my point:
It's the weapons. Seriously, how is making their bio-weapons mirror that of races like Humans and Eldar be considered an evolutionary step up? Swords, whips and (most importantly) their ranged weapons all look far too human to be considered alien. I prefer to imagine some terrifying alien creature leaping into combat with claws ready to tear you apart, not this thing in a sword duel with a Space Marine Captain. I would also think that a ranged weapon would have been part of the creature, instead of something which looks more tacked on then evolved.

This reason has been one of the major points why I never created a Tyranid force. As much as I love the idea behind them, their visual appearence just doesn't do them justice. But that's just my thought on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment