Thursday 24 April 2014

Wildstar Beta Short First Impressions

So after some small time playing the beta weekend and then discussing it with my brother (along with some net research to answer some of my questions), I feel ready enough to give my first impressions opinion on it. Yes, I do realise that it is still a beta and that it'll still be buggy, but given how close it is to release I'm going on an overall feel.

Character Creation:
For me the current options are good enough, though I suspect that people will be requesting more variations in the future. I guess that more work could be done in the fine tuning of your character, but I find that the current options are fine.

U.I.
I wont say much for this given that it keeps changing. Will wait for final release before going into any detail.

Gameplay:
This game relies more on aiming your attacks and dodging enemy attacks, so can prove difficult to do. I'm not really good at hotkeys and so do find that at times I do struggle with attacking on the move. That said, I am getting the hang of it slowly and once I unlock a few more mobile attacks I'll have more fun. What I will say is that dodging is more easier to do compared to Elder Scrolls Online due to the fact that it actually works. Tapping the keys makes you dodge, where in ESO you could reach the point of slamming your keyboard just to dodge. As such, this makes combat much more fluent.

Quests are somewhat a problem. Vocal work is limited to non existent, so if you were looking for that then I'm afraid it isn't here. It's funny, cause when I played ESO I found myself skipping the talking parts because I wasn't invested in the story, but with the Exiles story I was disappointed due to being invested, but no real voice work (save the cut-scenes). Some quests do use a communicator option (image of some satellite dish and the C button) which does save you from constantly going back all the time. Quest wise, I'm finding them ok, though I tend to get distracted sometimes by the constant challenge pop-ups or because of my chosen path (Explorer). By clicking on the quest though it does give you an arrow showing the direction it's located, so that's also nice.

My only real gripe is the fact that I haven't found the main city yet. I think it's because I either haven't got the quest or it's on that shuttle that I didn't bothered to test. I feel so lost...

Customization:
Given that to only two MMORPG games I've played with extra customization are World of Warcraft and Warhammer Online, It's no surprise that it's one of my favourite things to do. Sadly, I haven't been able to do much customizing, but this is mostly because I've been to low a level or because I still haven't been to the faction city. Trust me, I'm so looking forward in getting into this.

Tradeskills:
I haven't been able to try them yet, but this is because I haven't been to the city. Will update once I get some crafting done.

Update: Need to be level 10 before they are available, so I'm just off.

Sound:
Voice work is limited much in the same way old WoW was, with a few voice recordings for when that persons image appeared and a and proper recorded lines saved for things like cut-scenes/ following someone. So far I have enjoyed the music and have felt the mood based more on the blend of music and visuals.Some of the music can be found here.

PvP:
Haven't done it yet, but am really wanting to give it a go. I'll get my brothers opinion once he does a few more battles.

Overall:
For a beta, I've enjoyed it more then the released ESO. As a beta there are a few bugs I've seen and I'm more then happy to fill out those quest queries. I like it and am looking forward to finally giving one thing I'm really wanting to play: Warplots.

No comments:

Post a Comment