Monday 27 May 2013

Sequel Issues

I am a big fan of Dreamworks 'How To Train Your Dragon' series, from the movie to the television series, I have loved it. So why do I feel a shiver of fear when I found that it was to be made into a trilogy and that the second movie was in production?

I guess it comes down to how the story goes. As everyone should know, a good franchise can be ruined with a sequel, so it's now surprise that when you start hearing more of what they have planned that I get a little worried. Given it's potential, the possibility that it will end with the third movie is disheartening. Another factor is that the second movie is to take place 5 years after the first and that they will now include the northern hemisphere for the characters curiosity to explore. That's a big time bracket (which I guess the first T.V series is ment to fill) and even then, that much area is a lot to offer for just one movie.

The movie itself (due in 2014) is suppose to continue on from the first, while setting up events for the final movie (this sounds strangely familiar.....Dead Man's Chest anyone?). Despite all my fears for all this, I'm glad that they will still have the same voice actors (for the most part) and who knows, perhaps there are still plenty of stories to tell in between each of them and beyond.

Update: Noticed that there will be a sequel series to Riders of Berk called Defenders of Berk and will be released this year before the next movie. I guess this will work up to conclude the Riders arc while possibly setting up for the next movie.

No comments:

Post a Comment