Sunday 11 September 2016

Miniature Wargaming - The Endless Variety

So recently I've been wondering about what one can do in miniature wargaming. Since the events of the End Times and having the chance to experience a variety of different games, this is something I've been wanting to talk about and having talked to the guy an my local newsagent (who sells a number of miniature wargames at his store and plays a few different games), now is a great time to do so. I want to talk about a few games that have caught my eye, either by their models or game styles, but for this I won't really talk about games of 40K/Age of Sigmar/Malifaux as I already have experienced them and I want to focus a little as an outsider looking in. So here we go.

Warmachine vs Hordes

So I've seen both these two before, but it was my local guy who showed me their starter sets and told me a little about them. What I find very interesting is that there are now rules that can have an army from one game fight an army from another. That's amazing. The idea of having such a means is one I find very interesting and only serves to enhance the game, allowing players to fight one another with armies that at one time, could not.

While I don't really want to get involved in another big army style game, I do like the look of two of the factions, the Cryx from Warmachine and the Legion of Everblight from Hordes. The Cryx were described to be as a sort of Cyberpunk cross Necromancy faction, while the Everblight are more based of the Demonic in nature, thought both sides seem to have some Elvish nature to them. Both sides have some awesome looking miniatures, though sadly the best ones are the more expensive ones. The Cryx are in the starters pack, which ranges around the $135-$145 mark, so not too bad and something I may look into further down the line.

Marvel/Batman

These games are more new-ish (the Marvel one more so) and is probably the only game in which you'll probably spend more money on scenery then on the actual models. These games are small skirmish ones, with two sides going against each other in combat. The Batman games usually have the good guys verses bad guys, with one player picking his team to go take out one of Gotham's various crime gangs. The Marvel one has you with a set team from one of their three factions, Avengers, Mutants (a.k.a X-men) and Guardians of the Galaxy. Here you do toe-to-toe in a super hero fight, from throwing opponents into buildings, tossing vehicles at enemies or simply going for a good old fashion beat down. I've seen a battle report or two on this game and it does look incredible, but as I pointed out, you do need a bit of scenery for a good game.

It's style and rules means you could implement them into other shows, like Dragonball Z for instance. There is a great potential now for shows and movies to move into miniature wargaming thanks to games like these.

Dropzone Commander

Perhaps I was too quick about my scenery comment above, as I had completely forgot about this game. To simply put it, Spaceships and Mecs, what else is there to say. The game have a few factions, with various air and ground units as you battle through cities and the like. Ground infantry is basically a single unit, with most being things like Mecs, Walkers and Tanks. There are a number of large and small air units too. I don't know much about this game, but I have seen some amazing game boards done for it and the miniatures themselves look quite nice too.

Alien vs Predator

More like a boardgame style, it does seem a little expensive to me. Shame, as I really do love Aliens and Predators. Never seen it played, but it does emphasize my point that you can turn a franchise into a miniature wargame and allow people to experience it in a whole new way.

Guild Ball

Everyone remember when Games-Workshop did Blood Bowl, cause it seems GW seemed to have forgotten it. So much so, that another company decided to make a game about factions fighting is a combat ball sport and it seems to have taken off. Again, another game I don't know much about, but the miniatures do look very good. Maybe I might paint one at some point.

Overall

There are so many more out there, but these were a few that caught my attention. More so, they have given me plenty of ideas of what a person can do with a few simple ideas. Think about it, you can take your favourite show/movie/comic/game and turn it into a game. Just alter a few rules and get a few miniatures. Even better if you know someone who can do great 3D models as with the rise of 3D printers you could create a basic model and pose, print, paint and away you go. Custom rules and a few playtests, one could create a good fan game to share with friends. If you have your own characters and stories, you can modify them to make a miniatures game to share and expand. The possibilities are limited only by your imagination (and copyright law. Some companies don't take too well to fan games).

No comments:

Post a Comment