Sunday 5 July 2015

Age of Sigmar Starters Set

I had planned to do an article on it, but have chosen not to and it's mostly for two reasons. The first is that I'm probably going to complain how the new 'good' force just looks like Space Marines and lacks any creativity compared to actual Space Marines, but I'll save that for the future article when more miniatures are released. Beside, Chaos still looks like Chaos and the Khorne part still looks Khorne (still wishing they'd give Tzeentch and Slaanesh some love).

My second problem is it's price. See, I don't know how pricing works for other countries or if people there feel it's fair, but most know of GW's 2013 policy to stop people from selling products to Australia and New Zealand and since then prices just keep going up. As such, I feel that it's $200 price tag is a joke, especially when you compare it to the previous Blood Island box at $165. Before anyone begins to whine about another price complaint, my one has a simple reason to it:

It's an introduction box set to introduce new players to the game.

It's this statement that is my reason. At $200, this box set is a pricey one and parents are going to be put off by it (remember, GW is now focusing on the younger market, that's why we have a new Space Marine look, cause Space Marines sell). One of the big complaints was that Fantasy wasn't selling, but if you want to get new customers in, you should produce a more wallet friendly game to start off. Once you've hooked those customers in, your going to have more people buying all those new box sets you have planned. This cost may put off those potential customers who will avoid this product and thus, possibly avoid future sales. It's clear from the rules and lore that the focus is on new customers, so why not produce a 2-player game that is an affordable starting point at work from there?

I don't know, I've given up trying to understand the bizarre business practices of this company. I'll wait and see what the future releases will entail before I do an article on this.

No comments:

Post a Comment