Thursday 10 January 2013

Summer in Australia

God do I hate summer. East-Coast is in the grip of a heat wave with the weekend set to look pretty bad. I remember one of the papers yesterday said 'Three States, 200 Fires'........says it all really. Now it's Queensland's turn to take on the big temps and since last night the smell of burning wood is in the air.

The firefighters (a lot of them volunteers) have been doing their best to combat the many fires out there (which I'm sure some, if not most, were deliberately lit) and my thoughts go to them and those who have already lost their homes. As of yet I haven't heard of any human casualties, so I guess we can all be thankful for that. Bushfires are one of those things we tend to deal with every year in Australia and this year is shaping up to be a very bad season, but it does appear that we have been learning our lessons from the tragedies of previous years. Let's hope this heat wave ends soon so our firefighters can contain them and get the well earned rest they deserve.

No comments:

Post a Comment