Tuesday 15 September 2015

The problem with terrain

I've done a number of painting and conversions when it comes to miniatures over the years, but never have I come across a problem like this. The decision to design and make my own terrain for a board has proven a lot harder then I had originally thought. Terrain is very expensive and so I need to make some due to a very tight budget, but in doing so it has proven to be both a major time sink and a lesson in frustration.

Currently I've just about finished two big boulders, but they haven't turned out the way I had wanted. Likewise, the trees I'm working on have proven to be even more tricky to do and I'll documenting their construction in the hopes that someone can point out more helpful ways to craft them. There are a few videos on Youtube on making terrain and it's the one on making buildings that I'm really hoping will give me the inspiration I need. After all, it will mostly be used in games of Malifaux and considering that place has architecture that's inspired from all over the world, you'd think designing all this would be a lot more easier. Perhaps a trip to the library and it's various books on architecture might help.

I'm just thankful my brother has lent me his Citadel trees and those old 40k small ruin bits, though they are only undercoated black. Still, should be enough for when he pops on over tomorrow for our first ever Malifaux game. Given the pain I'm in, I look forward to a little fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment