Tuesday 22 August 2017

My Problem with Super Lucky's Tale


A cute 3D platformer that looks amazing and a lot of fun, so why am I a little annoyed by it?

Is it the gameplay? No. Is it the bright colours? No. Is it the art style? No. So what is it then?

It's the main character. Believe it or not, when I first got glimpses of this trailer, I thought they were finally bringing back Conker the Squirrel after that disastrous VR character design. After all, Conker is an orange squirrel, has a bushy tail, has sneakers and wears blue. Given how badly Microsoft was treating this fan favourite character a person could have easily thought that it was a Conker revival, so you can imagine my shock when I looked into this only to find it was a different character. I do believe that this Lucky is a fox, but so much of his design (particularly when viewed from the back) was similar to Conker's design.

I do love the look of the game and am willing to give this game a chance as its own game (cause I like these colourful platformers), but as a big Conker fan, I am a little miffed that we never got a proper Conker squeal. I know that this is an entirely different company and that given how common most anthropomorphic animal designs are, I am forgiving in that. I'll probably play this and most likely enjoy it immensely, it's just that I really want a good Conker game (although if this does good, maybe Microsoft could give this company the Conker license to make a sequel....I really want one OK). That said, I do wish this game the best as it does look really good.

No comments:

Post a Comment